Isn’t there a world of difference between mall shopping and online shopping for that perfect officewear for women? You have a ton of options online, at the tip of your fingers. But that awesome feeling of entering a trial room to immediately check the fit and style of the pieces that catch your eye is somehow a missed feeling in the world of online shopping making it slightly more difficult in finding the right fit.
When it comes to officewear selection, ensuring the right and most comfortable fit is paramount for both that confident and professional appearance. In this blog, let us dive into the importance of fit in officewear, discuss how to measure yourself accurately, and look for tips on selecting the ideal officewear when shopping online. This guide will help you look and feel your best in every professional setting.
The Significance of a Proper Fit
The noteworthiness of proper fit in online clothing cannot be overstated. A well-fitted outfit not only enhances your overall appearance but also boosts your confidence and comfort, allowing you to focus on your work without distraction. Here are some reasons why fit matters:
- Professionalism: Imagine someone wearing an absolutely loose outfit to work that feels like a garment hung on a hanger. It clearly shows lack of motivation or enthusiasm to dress well or simply ignorance of not knowing the right fit. Or someone wearing absolutely body hugging clothes. In both cases, it is but natural for others at work to snap judgments about the person’s sense of efficiency and detail. Well-fitted office clothing always leaves a sense of professionalism and comfort in interpersonal dealings at work, making positive impressions on colleagues, clients, and superiors.
- Comfort: Comfort is essential for productivity. Remember those days when you had to keep tucking your dressing down all day? Or you worried about your loose buttons unfolding without your knowing? Ill-fitting clothes can be extremely uncomfortable on the body and mind. And so, why style is importance, comfort is an equal pillar in choosing the perfect officewear online.
- Confidence: When you know you look good and your clothing fits perfectly, your confidence soars. This is fashion psychology which we discussed in an earlier blog. This can positively impact your performance and interactions at work. Dressing well has been shown to display extrovertism, more keenness for social interactions, and renewed enthusiasm. So now we know how implicitly important it is to find the right fit in clothes.
- Durability: Proper fitting clothing tends to last longer because it experiences less strain and wear than garments that are too tight or too loose. Hadn’t guessed this one right? Yes, you can get more value for your buck by just ensuring you get the right fit!
Now that we understand why fit matters, let's see how to measure yourself correctly and select the perfect officewear online.
Measuring Yourself Accurately
Before you start shopping for officewear online, it's crucial to have accurate measurements. Unlike tailored outfits, where you ensure you get every measurement absolutely customized to your body shape, in case of ready made garments, you have to play with a limited set of measurements available with you to make your decision on sizing.
Here's how to measure yourself properly:
Use a Soft Measuring Tape: Do you have a soft measuring tape? If not beg, borrow or steal one as this is a crucial beginning step to getting your measurements right. In fact we would recommend that you just invest in one good quality measuring tape, they anyway last a lifetime, maybe more.
Take Your Basic Measurements: The key measurements you'll need are bust, waist, hips and inseam. Here's how to measure each:
- Bust: Measure around the fullest part of your chest, usually over your nipples.
- Waist: Measure around the narrowest part of your waist, generally an inch or two higher than your belly button.
- Hips: Measure around the fullest part of your hips, usually at the widest point.
- Inseam: Measure from the crotch to the bottom of the leg, where you want your pants to end.
Keep the tape comfortable: When measuring, you don’t need to tug it too tight. Just hold it comfortably without cinching your skin in.
Measure Regularly: Our body can change sizes regularly. So it might be prudent to check regularly, atleast once in 6 months to ensure we continue to have the correct fit.
Selecting the Perfect Officewear Online
Now that you have your accurate measurements, here's how to choose the perfect officewear when shopping online:
- Read the Size Chart: India doesn’t have a standard sizing chart for the Indian body. Hence, every brand will have different sizing, so always look at the brand's size chart. Match your measurements to their sizing recommendations to find the right size.
- Check Customer Reviews: Reading customer reviews can provide useful insights into the fit and quality of the clothing. Look for reviews from customers with similar body types to get a better idea of how the clothing might fit you.
- Look for Detailed Product Descriptions: Pay attention to product descriptions that include information on the fit, fabric, and any special features of the garment. This can help you assess whether it meets your needs.
- Consider Fit Types: Some brands offer different fit types, such as "slim," "regular," or "relaxed." Choose the one that aligns with your body shape and personal preference.
- Take Advantage of Virtual Try-On Tools: Some online retailers now offer virtual try-on tools that use your measurements to create a digital avatar, allowing you to see how a garment might fit you before purchasing.
- Check the Return Policy: Ensure the online store has a flexible return policy, so you can exchange or return items that don't fit as expected.
- Start with Staples: If you're new to online officewear shopping, start with essential pieces like blouses, trousers, or blazers that are easier to fit than complex items like dresses.
- Pay Attention to Fabric Stretch: Fabrics with some stretch, like spandex or elastane blends, can provide extra comfort and flexibility, making it easier to get the right fit.
- Know Your Body Shape: Understanding your body shape (e.g., pear, apple, hourglass) can help you select clothing styles that complement your figure.
- Consult the brand: And lastly, if you are buying directly from a D2C brand’s website, you could just write in to the their support and get more clarity on the fit. We, at IREA, are regularly in touch with our customers who may have questions on the fit and size before they buy their favourite products online.
Like we saw, selecting the perfect officewear online is not only about style but also about fit. A well-fitted outfit is like a basic necessity of clothing. By following the above tips, we hope you are able to overcome the challenges of finding the right fit online. So, embrace the convenience of online shopping without missing your retail store’s trial room.
1. How do I choose clothes that fit my style?
To choose clothes that fit your style, start by knowing your fashion preferences and what gives you comfort and confidence. You also need to consider your personal environment, office culture, daily routine, and the occasions you dress for, as this will help you select appropriate clothing. Check out our blog on finding the perfect fit in formal clothing.
2. What is the best attire for office?
There is no one response to this. Best attire for officewear can range from tops paired with trousers / skirts, or dresses or professional kurtis and Indian sarees. The key is to ensure that you balance out the fit and style of the outfit to ensure it oozes a professional aura and at the same times creates a comfortable setting for others to have interactions with you. You can also read more about dressing for different industries here.
3. How can I look classy in office?
To look classy in the office, focus on style and timelessness of an outfit. Don’t just blindly follow current fads. Being well groomed and wearing a comfortable fit is very important in coming across as classy. Also read 10 Stylish Office Wear Ideas for Women.